If an incidental disturbance of asbestos or suspected asbestos containing material has occurred or if damaged asbestos or suspected asbestos containing material is identified, the following protocol should be followed:
- Clear the Area: Notify all persons in the immediate vicinity of the disturbed or damaged material to vacate the room/area. Any individuals potentially exposed or involved in the incident should stay in the vicinity of the incident for further evaluation.
- Close Off Access to the Room: Close the doors to the area and prevent entry into the area.
- Minimize the Spread of Contamination: If possible, contact Physical Plant (443-1234) to shut off the affected area’s ventilation.
- Notify the Physical Plant Environmental Shop (443-5697): or Environmental Health and Safety Services Office (443-4132) immediately; or after normal work hours contact the Department of Public Safety (443-2224).
- The Physical Plant Environmental Shop will perform any necessary asbestos testing and/or sampling and will facilitate the clean up or repair of the involved material.